7TH GRADE COURAGE RETREAT – MARCH 7, 2018
Dear Parents and Guardians
We are excited about the upcoming 7th grade Courage Retreat that will be facilitated by Youth Frontiers, Inc.!
Since 1987, Youth Frontiers (YF) – a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization based in Minneapolis – has been delivering programs to build positive school communities that help young people realize the importance of respecting themselves and others. Their vision is to change the way young people treat each other in every hallway, lunch line, and classroom of every school in America so that today’s young people can make tomorrow’s world better. Last year, YF worked with more than 125,000 students and educators throughout the country.
On the Courage Retreat, the YF Retreat Staff will focus on creating a more positive school community by engaging students in a variety of activities that enhance self-confidence, empathy, and connectedness.
This high-energy, interactive retreat is scheduled for Wednesday, March 7th, 2018 for the 7th grade class and will be held at the Wyoming Civic Center.
To continue the positive effects of the retreat experience and to help support and communicate the messages delivered on the retreat, here are some questions you may like to ask your child after their retreat experience:
• What activities did you find fun?
• What were some of the social fears that you discussed with your classmates during the small group discussions?
• What is a fear that you really struggle with?
• What is one thing you can do tomorrow at school to show more courage?
Please visit youthfrontiers.org/courage-retreat for more information on YF, to access great parent resources, and to watch a video about the Courage Retreat.
Please review and sign the attached permission form. Please return this to your child’s Language Arts teacher by Friday, March 2nd. We will walk from WMS to The Wyoming Civic Center the morning of the retreat. Please indicate on the form if your child has permission to be dismissed directly from The Civic Center at 3:00pm or if they will walk back to WMS with school staff to ride a bus home, go to an after school program or meeting, etc. If you have any questions, please call the WMS Counseling Office at 206-7225.
Rod King and Jon Allred
Wyoming Middle School Counselors
GIRLS BASKETBALL PLAYERS
Please return both uniforms (blue & white jersey and shorts) and your practice jersey to your coach by the end of the week.
8th grade girls, give washed uniforms to Coach Tubbs.
7th grade girls, give washed uniforms to Coach Kunkel.
FRENCH CLUB T-SHIRTS
T-Shirts will cost $14.95 and payment should be dropped off to room 209 (Mrs. Wieland)
6TH GRADE PARENTS – COURSE OPTIONS
Please click on the link below to submit your course options:
MODEL UN STUDENTS:
Remember that the final payment of $130.00 is due to the main office by Wednesday, February 28. Also. be sure to give your signed permission slip to your parent chaperone.
WYOMING SCHOOL FOUNDATION 5K FUN RUN
Come out and support the Wyoming School Foundation at the 5K Fun Run on Saturday, March 10
Come run, rain or shine! Race begins at 9 a.m. and starts and finishes at Worthington and Beech. The course is in a flat, residential area. Race-day check in begins at 8 a.m. The 5K offers chipped race timing for accurate results!
Prizes: First place medals will be awarded to male & female runners in each of these categories: K-12 (each grade), ages 19-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59 and over age 60.
Entry Fees until 2/28 (Prices increase March 1!):
• $30 for Adults
• $20 for grades 5-12
• $15 for grades K-4 (2.5K run)
Entry fee includes:
• Commemorative t-shirt for all participants registered by Tuesday March 6, 2018
• Instant finish line results by text and/or email.
• $5 additional fee for race day registration (t-shirt not included)
Register here: https://www.racemine.com/Wyoming-School-Foundation/events/2018/Wyoming-5k-fun-Run
Purchase today and get discounted entry into the WYS Pancake breakfast!
Please attend the annual Wyoming Youth Services Pancake Breakfast after the race. You can stop by the Wyoming Civic Center for pancakes and fun 8-11 a.m. and support the many programs that WYS provides to our children and our community. There will be a silent auction, as well as a raffle. In addition to signing up for the race today, make sure you also purchase your discounted tickets to the pancake breakfast!
Race packet pickup:
• 3-7 p.m. Friday, March 9, at the Wyoming City Schools Board of Education office
• 5K Fun Run proceeds go to Wyoming School Foundation’s efforts to support Wyoming City Schools
MAY FETE NEEDS YOUR HELP
Will you help? Bring friends too! It will be fun!… May Fete 2018 Open Chair Positions. Thank you for your interest in making this year amazingly awesome.
Plinko Booth Chair
• Organize Volunteer Sign Up to work the Booth and assist with the setup (takes 10 minutes
Skee Ball Chair
• Organize Volunteer Sign Up to work the Booth and assist with the setup (takes 10 minutes)
Pretzels and Nacho Booth Chair
• Ordering of Food (May Fete provides direction here)
• Organize Volunteer Sign Up to work the Booth. Set up booth and assist with tear down (this can be done by volunteers)
Event Site Committee Co-Chair
• On Site Friday May 18th AM to manage setup of tables, chairs, booth signs and oversees booth setup
• Responsible for PM tear down of tables, chairs, booth signs, etc
• Responsible for Scout clean up Saturday morning