Greetings, Wyoming Middle School Families:
We hope you are enjoying the holiday season! We know everyone is looking forward to the opportunity to relax and spend time with family and friends over the Winter Break. We want to thank each of you for sharing your child(ren) with us. The Wyoming community is a special place to be, and we are so fortunate to have the opportunity to work with your children every day.
As we begin our Winter Break and prepare to return in January, we wanted to share important information with you. With all new endeavors, we spend time reflecting and determining what we can do to enhance learning for our children. Experienceships have been new to our Wyoming community this year, and we have learned many things in our first two quarters. Because we want to provide the very best all-around educational experience for our students, we are going to make a change to the Experienceship schedule. We will only offer 4th quarter Experienceships in the second half of the year. Many factors have played into this decision.
- Feedback from students, parents, and teachers indicated that there are some improvements we can make to the Experienceships we offer, and we’d like the opportunity to make those changes to provide students with a more enriched learning experience in the 4th quarter.
- Additionally, after the Experienceships had been set, the Ohio Department of Education shared an updated assessment calendar that included an earlier testing window. As a result of this, we would like to maximize direct classroom instruction for students prior to their AIR assessments. We know this will be an adjustment for our students, and they will have different responses depending on their personal experience, but we are confident that this change is going to be positive for our students and staff.
What will happen to the Experienceships that my student is already scheduled to take? Since we are making this change in the middle of the year, we will be starting over with student choices. All students will have the opportunity to reselect their top 4 Experienceships, and then we will schedule students based upon their preference. It is always our goal to provide students with the highest preference we can.
Will the same Experienceships be offered that were originally on the list? New ideas bring lots of learning, and we are going to make some adjustments based upon feedback from students, parents, and teachers. You may see some differences in the Experienceship choices, including updated descriptions to reflect the course and/or new Experienceships. All students will make their 4th quarter selection in January.
If my 6th grader did not take Life Skills 1st or 2nd quarter, will he/she automatically be scheduled into this course? No. While we value the content taught through Life Skills, it is not feasible to provide Life Skills to nearly 65 students in the 4th quarter.
How can I help as a parent? We have had several parents ask if there are opportunities to volunteer during experienceships. We know that we have many talented and passionate parents and community members who would add value to our students’ learning. As we make this transition, we’d like to ask for your help. If you or someone you know has a career field or area of passion that would benefit our student body, fill out the following form: goo.gl/aPVv2m.
As always, we welcome feedback and would love to hear from you if you have any questions or concerns. You can reach me at email@example.com. You will be receiving more information regarding this change when we return in January.
Yearbooks Are On Sale!
Yearbooks are available to purchase from Walsworth for $25 (You may have received emails from Walsworth, our yearbook company. Lifetouch takes our photos.)
- Please go to https://yearbookforever.com/#
- Type in Wyoming Middle School and make your selection.
************Order By December 17, 2016 for the lowest price************
- Price rises to $30 after 12/17/2016
- Sale ends 1/13/17
Lost and Found – Please come and check our lost and found for any missing items of your student’s. Anything that is not claimed by the end of winter break will be donated to Valley Interfaith Food and Clothing.
Perfect North Slopes is OPEN so, our SKI BUS is rolling!!!
Wyoming 7-12th Graders – Please use the link below to sign up for the Wyoming Ski Bus for this Friday, December 16th.
The bus arrives at the Wyoming HS Tennis Courts at 3:30pm and leaves promptly at 4pm.
You must have these items:
1) Ski Bus Pass or bring $20.00 cash
2) Signed Wyoming Ski Club/Medical Release form already turned in or bring it with you.
3) Signed the Perfect North Slopes electronic release form online at PNS or bring a signed & printed one with you.
We suggest you bring a snack/drink or money for dinner with you. No eating or drinking on the bus. No school backpacks, only a ski/board equipment/bag.
* Ski Bus Pass holders will be accepted on the Ski Bus first, all riders and chaperones must use the Sign Up Genius online by Thursday at 9am. Pay-As-Go Riders (riders without Ski Bus Pass) will be accepted if there is room on bus or if we have enough add-on riders will can get a 2nd bus.
May Fete 2017 – Even though winter break is almost here, it’s already time to prep for May Fete! Wyoming PSA (Parent School Association) is looking for a May Fete Volunteer Coordinator. This role confirms returning committee chairs and recruits for any open committee chair positions. This is a great opportunity to network if you’re new to volunteering—or if you’re an experienced volunteer, it is an excellent way to use your network for our children’s benefit. All work can be done from the comfort of your home on your own schedule. Contact Chad Harness if you’re interested at firstname.lastname@example.org.